Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sworn in... and now the work begins

I am so fortunate to be able to comment directly to you in this medium.  As you may know I was sworn in on the board of education on Nov 9.  I again declined to speak with the Greeley Tribune.  There are so many people who know the truth about the Tribune and urge me to continue the fight for the truth. 

This audio file will also be posted to my blog.  Just go to the pirates main website. www.pirate1047.com to the lower left you’ll see the “blog” button. You can also communicate with me there.   A final place I will send my comments is to the Greeleyreport.com   …they are a bit more abrasive or aggressive than I, but always, so far, have posted my true comments, not calculatingly ripped and misconstrued.

So, how was my first official swearing in by judge unfug and school board meeting?  I have to say it was a bit boring.  But I’ll explain as the reporter can’t stop me here.

I was impressed with the achievements of some of the students in their literacy and even helping their parents to learn English.  We all know this is good.  And it was funded primarily by a grant---not our collective pocketbooks; even better.

I was also impressed with the choir that performed for us.  There were a myriad of principles describing how well their schools are doing and picking and choosing specific students who were stand outs.   As I remember it through the 6 hour meeting, there was a principle who extolled a student achievement showing 37% of his students were now proficient in math.  I hope he has more than that who can do math.

 I’m not sure I’m into the fancy meal we all get  to eat between our work session and our public session, at 6pm.  In fact, I skipped it.  I also turned down the computer and printer and additional phone line the district offered me.  I accepted the cell phone  as I don’t want to be paying air time for people to talk to me about district business.

Wayne Eads has been coo for 17 years.  Hard to tell if he knows what he’s doing well enough to be able to make the correct changes to meet the new budget demands …we’ll see.

I really got the feeling politics had an awful lot to do with most of the agenda.  We don’t need self-aggrandizement and security; we need efficiency and motivation.   But, as I explained to chairman Broderius in a 2 hour meeting before the 6 hour public meeting, I have no axe to grind, save fighting excess.  I also intend to keep my mouth shut until I’m sure of what I’m doing.  It may be a week, it may be a couple months.  I do know that the current board is “deeply burdened” about the financial and academic crisis.  Hopefully, that means they are open to new ideas.  I will continue to post my thoughts in the aforementioned locations.

Finally, I have to mention the supportive letters and email of support from listeners here on Greeley’s most listened to radio station, many  teachers, both active and retired, and those who have just been hearing about my campaign.  It is not my intention to disappoint you.  Just give me a speck of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers